Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Project

I'm doing this because I've found that we modern folks often present our best sides to the world online: our prettiest photos, our snappiest comments, the highlights. (One could, of course, argue all public life has this in common. But online life is somehow even more of a one way conversation and is more filtered.) Perhaps this makes us look at the good things in our lives. But I think that sometimes we also find our lives lacking when comparisons are made--to others' lives or to our presented lives. So I thought I'd do a project that looks at both the beautiful and the hideous in everyday life.

General rules/observations:
1) I am a historian. Photos might not always be posted the day they are taken, but will at least be properly labelled. (Revised Feb. 7. : I'll do what I can. )
2) I don't like flash.
3) Revised Sept. 27: There will generally be a beautiful and an ugly everyday. But sometimes it may be up to the viewer to suss out which is which. And sometimes, if I find I'm having to actively search for one or the other, I'll post whatever the heck I feel like. I think the central rule is I'll be aiming to avoid the prettified version of life.
4) Thus far, I'm not aiming for themes or connections between the two daily photos. But they will surely creep in.
5) There will be some redundancy. I hope the patterns illuminate.
6) Sometimes the beauty or the ugly is less in the visual presented and more in the essence of the thing.
7) Sometimes the beautiful and the ugly present themselves almost simultaneously.
8) Sept. 27: I'm gearing up for some big changes in my life. As this happens, I want to include more words, more other stuff. I think I'll still try to be spare with words on image heavy days, but if words are needed to clarify, I'll use them. And if I feel like recording something I didn't get a picture of, or linking to a song, I'll let myself do that too.
9) The goal is five posts a week, generally on weekdays. Sometimes I'll post late at night. (Secret: My computer is on Hawaii time.) Sometimes pics of the previous day will be the material.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, I get to leave the first comment! I like the contrast photos. Especially since the first one I got to see was the nut clusters/tub. Good color scheme going.

    ReplyDelete