Thursday, December 16, 2010

Part IV: Mostly a story.

Life here:
Every year, we put up twinkle lights. In New Brunswick they went up and down the iron railing on our front steps and were put up around Thanksgiving. You cold see them driving up the street; it was really pretty. I then used snow and ice as an excuse to leave them up through winter. White-trashy, but they added something to the cold, snowy days. Now that we don't have access to a plug for the front of our place, we hang twinkle lights up on our back porch/fire escape/steps of death. I generally change them up in November and leave them all year. They get overgrown with vines in summer and light up the backyard when we hang out in good weather.

Last year I put up cool blueish led lights, inspired by what we saw in our Thanksgiving trip to London. I actually didn't love them and they weren't terribly useful as they got grown over by vines but also got eaten by squirrels. In the end we were down to hardly any light--only a wee strip under the edge of the roof. Tim took them down a few weeks ago.

Life has been hectic, so we haven't gotten round to new lights. Tim told me tonight that the neighbors are complaining. I assumed this was nonsense. Actually, he said, the little boy next door cornered him one morning and said, "where did your lights go?" Tim told him we'd taken old ones down and hadn't gotten new ones up. "Humph," the kid replied. Tim asked, "do you think we should put the new ones up?" A nod was his response. And so tomorrow, Tim and I will finally get our Christmas lights up, because the 5 year old orthodox boy next door thinks we should.

I love Edison, NJ.

1 comment:

  1. Even before he could talk, that little guy was a character. I bet he's a crack up now.

    Those lights definitely made the steps of death more appealing to my death-defying crew. Of course, they'd have climbed up to see you no matter what.

    ReplyDelete